Enjoy this video of Mike Balulescu giving a tour of our beautiful stained glass windows.
Christ Church was founded in 1848 under the leadership of 12 local community leaders. They met with Albert Patterson, missioner at large for Boston and the vicinity. They began meeting for morning prayer in Rumford Hall, the same location that eventually would become Waltham’s City Hall.
In 1849, they moved into a gothic wooden building, on Central Street. The Rev. Thomas Frederic Fales was the first pastor to the growing congregation.
During the rapid industrialization of Waltham, they soon outgrew their space. Robert Treat Paine, the great-grandson of the signer of the Declaration of Independence with the same name, was the chair of a committee to build a new church, which was consecrated in 1902. Christ Church today is housed in a stone English country style church in Main Street. It is on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Over its history, Christ Church has responded to the needs to the Waltham community in many different ways. Through the years, there have been basketball teams, theatrical performances (the Fieldstone Players), couples groups, handbell choirs, the Fleur-de-lis girls and young women’s group, along with the Sir Galahad Club for boys and young men. For current opportunities, check our Outreach page.
Join us as we build the next 150 years of our history.